Walter Odajnyk Memorial Scholarship Fund
Walter Odajnyk Memorial Scholarship Fund
Pacifica Graduate Institute announces the formation of a scholarship fund set up by current and former students to honor the memory of Dr. V. Walter Odajnyk, a beloved faculty member from 2002 until his death in 2013. His students adored Dr. Odajnyk’s bedrock integrity, keen intelligence, and depth of feeling, as well as his passion for politics, Zen meditation, Egyptian mythology, and fairytales. His capacities as an analyst, teacher, and writer were felt in his presence and willingness to adapt his teachings to suit the needs of his students, moment by moment.
Like many wise elders, Dr. Odajnyk’s genius was forged in tragedy. He experienced firsthand the horrors of war-torn Czechoslovakia as a child before emigrating to the United States. According to Thomas Elsner, one of Dr. Odajnyk’s colleagues, this early confrontation with the human shadow gifted him with “a soul presence that had to do with a profound Zen-mind relationship to emptiness and the sacred void.”
Dr. Odajnyk’s legacy lives on in his students. “In dreams,” writes Dr. Keith Himebaugh, “he continues to guide me, encouraging me to keep going and not give up. I will never forget this generous man, his honesty, his zeal for teaching and dedication to his students. May this scholarship continue to help others as he has helped me, a contribution to a worthy cause at the perfect moment.”
Prior to coming to Pacifica, Dr. Odajnyk was an Assistant Professor of Political Science at Columbia University. In addition to many articles and workshops, Dr. Odajnyk authored several books, including: Marxism and Existentialism, Jung and Politics: The Political and Social Ideas of C. G. Jung (with a foreword by Marie-Louise von Franz), Gathering the Light: A Jungian View of Meditation (with a foreword by Thomas Moore), and his last book, Archetype and Character: Power, Eros, Spirit, and Matter Personality Types. Dr. Odajnyk was a diplomate of the C.G. Jung Institute in Zurich, a member of the C. G. Jung Study Center of Southern California, and licensed as a Research Psychoanalyst by the Medical Board of California.
We are glad to own you on our website which is filled with different models of men, women and transsexuals live sex cam is here. If you have never been to a web talk site like ours you don’t have to worry as it is very easy to connect with any woman or child you like. Enter the individual space of your favorite porn cam sex product and let yourself be overly excited by most of the sexual passion they give you.
“It is with profound gratitude that we establish a scholarship in memory of Dr. Odajnyk,” said Cynthia Caldwell, one of the students involved in initiating the fund. “This scholarship will ensure that his gift of guiding students into contact with wisdom through myth is felt, remembered, and continued long into the future.”
Donations to the scholarship fund may be made via paypal (button below), or by check made payable to Pacifica Graduate Institute Alumni Association. Scholarships will be awarded to future students enrolled in Pacifica’s Mythological Studies Program. Your donation is tax-deductible and deeply appreciated.
- Read Eligibility, Requirements and Important Information below.
- Review the online application process here – Online Application Guide. You will need to register your e-mail address to start and review this guide for reference.
- Submit Application Essay: As he shared with his students, Walter envisioned a future in which the evening news team would include a mythologist providing commentary on the day’s events. To apply for this scholarship, write an essay in the form of a letter addressed to a specific public official such the President, or as a press release for a media outlet, expressing how a mythologist or a mythological understanding could shed light on or help resolve a current domestic or international situation of your choice (500 words or less). Essays will be judged on the quality of writing and the insightful application of mythology to a current event. The winning letter will also be published on the Pacifica website. This is a non-renewable non-renewable scholarship. All students enrolled in the myth program are eligible to apply.
- Then click here to APPLY ONLINE. Deadline : ________________. In addition to submitting an online application, you must turn in all required supplemental documents by deadline.
- Applicant must be a Mythological Studies student at Pacifica Graduate Institute.
- Applicant must be planning to attend full-time in coursework or dissertation phase.
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or AB540 eligible.
Requirements and Selection –
- 2016-2017 Application available online October 2015.
- 2015-2016 No Scholarship Awards (Scholarship originated this academic year).
- No late submissions will be accepted.
You must meet the eligibility requirements listed above and complete all parts of the online application as well as submit the required supplementary documents on time to be eligible. All eligible and qualified new applicants are required to have a personal interview.
Scholarship awards mostly range from $500 to $1500 per academic year.
Interviews are generally conducted in the month of ____________ following application deadline.
Interviews will be conducted at the Office of Alumni Relations (Pacifica Graduate Institute, 801 Ladera Lane, Santa Barbara, CA 93108) during normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.). The Association will contact applicants by e-mail or phone to schedule an interview, so please be sure to keep us updated if your contact information changes. Applicants outside of Santa Barbara should e-mail Alumni Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org to indicate several days when they will be available in the Santa Barbara area for a personal interview. Please call Alumni Relations at 805.679.6161 or e-mail email@example.com with any questions.
- Confirm the date, time and location of your interview when it is scheduled, and be certain to write down this important information.
- Plan for plenty of time in your schedule to allow for parking or other delays. Be on time for your interview or event a few minutes early.
- Be prepared to talk about yourself including your background, motivation, academic history, activities, interests and goals.
The Walter Odajnyk Memorial Scholarship was created expressly for Mythological Studies students. While open to all students enrolled at Pacifica Graduate Institute – Mythological Studies program students will receive first preference.
For more information, call our office at 805.679-6163 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org